I’ve never been a fan of pie – maybe because I’ve always considered fruit to be a stand-alone food. I don’t really care for having fruit in things, especially not warm, mushy fruit. That being said, there’s something about pie that always seems so comforting and I often wish I liked it – so much so, that this year I’ve vowed to keep trying different ones until I find at least one that sticks. Imagine trying to coax yourself into liking pie?! First world problems.
I started off with a safe bet. I have a bunch of mini pie recipes saved on Pinterest, so I picked the one that was the least like “real” pie – Strawberry Nutella Mini Pies. Granted, the strawberry part was composed of jam and not actual fresh fruit, but it’s made from fruit so…. same difference, right? Right.
All in all, they came out pretty good, although I feel like most of the filling disintegrated with the heat while cooking. I’ll have to figure out how to remedy that for next time. If nothing else, they were super easy to make and look totally adorable. Next time I’ll try actual pie filling, but for now, baby steps…
Strawberry Nutella Mini Pies
(adapted from The Domestic Rebel)
- 1 pkg refrigerated pie crusts, room temperature
- Strawberry Jam
- 1 egg
- White sugar
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- On a flat surface, roll out the pie dough. Cut out as many circles as you can with a cookie cutter. I got about 14 out of one roll, but had to re-roll it out after about half of that in order to get more.
- Place half the circles on the baking sheet and put the rest aside.
- Add about ½ tsp of strawberry jam in the center another ½ tsp of Nutella on top of the strawberry jam.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl and add a splash of water to it. Using your finger, spread the egg around the exposed crust around the filling.
- Place another circle on top of the filling and press down around the edges, then seal it all the way around with a small fork.
- Brush egg on top of each of the circles and sprinkle with white sugar.
- Bake for approx. 20 minutes or until the tops are golden. Cool the pies on the baking sheet slightly before serving.